Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Physical Intimacy

So, I know this is an awkward subject for some people, but it's really important and should be well understood. I'll just stick to the basics though and keep it relatively short.

 The Relationship Attachment Model illustrates the ideal/most stable levels of knowing, trusting, relying on, committing to, and touching that should be seen in a healthy relationship. You should know someone more than you trust them, trust them more than you rely on them, rely on them more than you are committed to them, and be committed to them more than you touch them. (see below)
However, relationships today tend to have much higher touching and commitment than they do the other 3. A more common model American society today may be the exact opposite of the ideal. This causes problems with relationships and has long-term effects on marriages. My professor, Michael Williams, is a marriage and family counselor. He says that quite often, when a couple comes in for marriage counseling, if you look back to their dating history, their problems began at the beginning of their relationship with their RAM. Thus, it is evident that RAMs are very important and we should be careful how we handle our relationships from their initiation.

To finish off, here are my notes from class:
  • Purposes of sexual intimacy
    • invite children into the world (not a casual act!)
    • create closeness
    • become "one"
    • grow closer to God
  •  Being very physical with many people greatly decreases your ability to form attachments.
    • it makes it harder for others to attach to you as well (they don't know how serious you are)
  • Sexual intimacy is not a race (after you get married); you can take as long as needed for both of you to be comfortable!
    • The greatest satisfaction comes in happy marriages & those that have been married for a long time.
  •  Being attentive to your partner provides the most satisfaction.
  • Focusing on spiritual aspect more than physical aspect helps you draw closer to God.
  • It's important to marry a person who is chaste! Being a virgin is not the important part; it's being clean.
  • If you're engaged and still feel the need to keep your opposite gender friends, you're not ready for marriage.
  • Have clear boundaries!
  • Be so loving and so kind that your spouse has no need to look for comfort else where.
  • Preparation/overcoming apprehensions: And They Were Not Ashamed: Strengthening Marriage through Sexual Fulfillment, by Laura M. Brotherson (read before marriage, separate from partner)
  • Teaching children: LDS.org - search teaching about physical intimacy
Hopefully you found some of this interesting and helpful. I did and I wish that everyone in the world could understand the sacredness of sexual intimacy. It should only be shared within the bonds of matrimony. It was create to bring children into this world, therefore it should not be "played" with outside of marriage! Anywho, that's my little lecture and that's everything I have to say on this topic.

2 comments:

  1. I just read most of your postings. They all have food for thought. I am currently taking a marriage class in church. The class only goes for four Sundays but there is a lot to consider already. I found it interesting that your blog this week would be on intimacy when that is the topic for this coming week. I have taken notes from your comments and will share them if there is time to do so. Marriage is our most important and long lasting relationship. We were reminded that the person we are married to is not just a spouse, they are our best friend. Sometimes it's easy to forget that very simple thing. There was a talk by a general authority that one of the lessons was taken from and he mentioned some council given by Spencer W. Kimball to a missionary. He said not to pray to find someone to love but to pray to love the one you marry. That kind of sounds like what your dad likes to say. "Any two people can make a marriage work as long as they work at it together." I have been married for 26 years but there are still things to learn and things to improve on. Just as an end note; keep your notes on these suggestions, read them often during dating and especially after marriage. I agree that strong and open marriages build strong and open families that will last forever as it was intended that they should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy to hear that you and other people can be learning from what I've been posting! I've been trying so hard to get my blogs out there and I really hope they can help people in some way.

      Delete