A crucible, for those who don't know, is something that is used to separate impurities from metals. It makes it possible to remove the impurities and to mix something else in to make the metal stronger. Likewise, there are difficult experiences we go through both individually and as families that, if approached properly, can be crucible experiences that solidify and strengthen our characters and bonds.
To put things into perspective, if we go through an extremely trying experience, we can either view it as a miserable experience or a crucible experience. A miserable experience is viewed individually under the context "Why me?" or "It's not fair!/It's not right!". A crucible experience, however, is viewed as more of a paired, family, or collective experience where we are no longer alone or blaming/accusing. It can allow cheerfulness because of the changes and learning that occurs, which can be seen as "little miracles" or "tender mercies" because we purposefully look for the good.
A good point to note, however, is that the crucible (trial) is not the change, we are. We can't just sit and wait it out, we have to do something to change. Also, the purposes of family are often accomplished with really difficult things that we have to go through together. Finally, we must recognize that there is opposition in all things: trials bring appreciation for blessings; difficulties bring true happiness, if we maintain the proper perspective.
When I am going through difficult times I try to maintain a good perspective. Granted, I wine and complain and ask "Why me?" But, at some point, I take a step back and think: "What am I meant to learn from this?" or "How can I become a better person through this trial?" I would encourage everyone to do the same! It helps so much to see a trial not as a punishment, but as an opportunity for learning and growth! You'll have a happier, less bitter life if you can maintain an eternal perspective and continually shoot for the long-term goal of a happy, fulfilling life filled with love, forgiveness, and personal development.
No comments:
Post a Comment